Location: Ellicott City, Maryland
Email: E-mail Me
As a lawyer-mediator, Cecilia “Ceecee” Paizs brings to her mediation sessions her knowledge of the law as well as her experiences in jurisdictions such as Howard County, Baltimore County, Carroll County, Montgomery County, Baltimore City, Anne Arundel County, Washington County and Frederick County. In addition, Ceecee has the experience of having practiced in jurisdictions outside of the State of Maryland. Ceecee joined the Maryland Bar in November of 1980. She was admitted to the Bar in Florida in 1987, and in Virginia in 1992 (where she is currently inactive).
Before starting her own practice in 1999, Ceecee gained valuable experience in real estate, contract, personnel, and domestic law, both in the State of Maryland and in other state court systems. She spent her first six and one half years of mediation working in a co-mediation model with Mike Boyle, a clinical psychologist, as well as mediating on her own. She has volunteered to facilitate cases for the Howard County Circuit Court, as well as the District Court of Maryland for Howard County’s Alternate Dispute Resolution program. Her varied work on staff, in her private practice and volunteer experience gives Ceecee a unique and successful approach to mediation and the collaborative practice of law.
She completed the MICPEL (Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education for Lawyers, Inc.) training in both Mediation and Domestic Mediation.
Ceecee earned her undergraduate degree in Government from Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA in 1977. She continued her education at Suffolk University Law School in Boston, MA, earning her Doctorate of Jurisprudence in 1980, where she was an active member of the Law Student Division of the American Bar Association. During her third year, she held a national position with the Law Student Division.
Before coming to the Mediation Center, Ceecee gained valuable legal experience while working as an associate at Reinman & Wattwood, P.A. (Formerly Reinman, Harrell, Mitchell & Wattwood, P.A.) in Melbourne, Florida and at Kaufman, Ries & Elgin, P.A. in Towson, Maryland.
In February of 1999, she started her own law practice in Ellicott City, MD, where she concentrates in the area of family law. She is active with the Women’s Bar Association of Maryland, Inc., a past president and current board member of the Howard County Chapter of the WBA, a member of Maryland State Bar Association Family Law Section and ADR Section, the Howard County Bar Association, the Family Law Committee of the HCBA and the Baltimore County Bar Association, and unofficial photographer for the Howard County Bar Association and the Women’s Bar Association of Maryland, Inc. In addition, Ceecee is member of the Women’s Law Center and a past president and current member of the Sunrise Rotary Club of Ellicott City.
Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Child Support
- Family Law
- Florida, 1987
- Maryland, 1980
- Virginia, 1992 (Inactive)
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. – 1980
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- B.A. – 1977
Honors and Awards
- Past Chair Award, ADR Section of the MSBA 2014-2015
- Lee A. Caplan Maryland Pro Bono Service Award, Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland, 2011
- WBA Foundation Award , 2011
- President’s Award, Howard County Bar Association, 2009
- WBA Member of the Year, 2008 – 2009
- Outstanding Committee Award, WBA of Maryland, Inc. (Golf Tournament Committee), 2007
- President’s Service Award, Howard County Bar Association , 2006
- The Conwell R. Sapp Award, Howard County Chapter of the WBA of Maryland, Inc.), 2005
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International, 2009
- Mentor Certificate of Appreciation, Centennial High School, 2007 – 2008
- Mentor Certificate of Appreciation, Long Reach High School, 2007 – 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member; ADR Section; Family Law Section – member, ADR committee, 2010 – Present
- Women’s Bar Association of Maryland, Inc.,, Member; Former board member – 2003-2004; Photo Historian – currently, 1996 – Present
- Howard County Chapter of the WBA of Maryland, Inc. , Board Member; Past president – 2003-2004; Board member – 2000-2009; Photo Historian – currently
- Maryland State Bar Association, (1980-1984; 1996-present), Member; ADR Section – Current member of Section Council as immediate past president; member of Family Law Section
- Howard County Bar Association, Member; Former board member – 2003 – 2010; Former Chair and current member, Pro Bono Committee; Former member, ADR Committee; Editor, Barrister, 1996 – 2010
- Women’s Law Center, Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club of Ellicott City, Member, 1996- Present; President – 2007-2008; President Elect – 2006-2007; Vocational Lane Director – 2003-2006
- Baltimore County Bar Association, Member since 2002
- Women’s Bar Foundation of Maryland, Life Sponsor, 2011 – Present
- James McGill Inns of Court, Member; Two periods of time from 2001 – 2009, with a break in middle
- Maryland Council of Dispute Resolution, Member
- Maryland Program for Mediator Excellence, Member until 2015
- Maryland Partners for Justice Conference Committee, 2015-Present